Monday, March 3, 2014

The Zen Guy and My Struggles Afterwards

So we had a class with this “full of bullshit” guy who talked about Zen Buddhism, well really he didn’t talk about Zen Buddhism he talked about himself. Yeah the first day was a powerpoint with some good information on Buddhism in general. He also broke it down into sects for us, but he threw in a lot of personal stories. Now normally that wouldn’t bother us, but here’s why it did. In Thailand it is not okay to talk about one’s self/personal past stories without permission. Often times teachers will ask before they tell you or they will apologize with “I’m sorry if my story offends you and if I am talking to much about myself. I am also sorry if my opinions offend you. Please tell me to stop if I am offending you.” Does this guy do that? No he’s from New Jersey (no disrespect but he did follow the stereotype and made ya all look b-a-d) and it was just a total change for us. The second day we had to ask questions. Well most of us tore him a new one, especially Ryan. I even asked questions I knew the answers too, I mean I am Buddhist, but I just wanted to hear how he’d possibly dance around a question a very simple straightforward “This is what Buddhism practice says…” and he totally did. By the end of the class we were all frustrated and never wanted to see the man again. Okay, now that my rant is done, back to the first day. The first day I felt troubled on the inside. I was feeling like I abandoned a true part of me by stopping Buddhism and I felt horrible. After class I decided to go temple wandering. I walked around several temples and finally found myself and happiness. I am a Buddhist. Deal with it. J

These are just some shots from wondering around Chiang Mai trying to find temples.

Minds open, hearts close, bellies full


-The Foodie and Nature Enthusiast






No comments:

Post a Comment